I have just finished Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants - and before anyone asks, no, I haven't seen the movie. Actually, my book club cautioned me about it because they said it is so different to the book. Maybe I will, maybe I won't...
Being the animal lover I am, I was initially concerned about perceived cruelty within a circus environment, but of course there are those within that industry who genuinely love animals and continually fight for their rights.
Gruen is a wonderful author who undertakes extensive research, and the reader can tell. She told the story, which is set in the depression years, with feeling and understanding, and I loved it. There was intrigue, love, anger, desperation, humour and above all, quirky characters and fabulous animals. I also learned a great deal about what it is to be part of a travelling circus. Now I can't wait to read her book Ape House.
A wonderful read which I finished in about three sittings. And I am pleased to say that the pile on my bedside table is slowly decreasing - for now, anyway.
I'm a writer, a reader and a traveller. This blog follows my search for knowledge and my thoughts about this voyage we call life. Whether I read about it, or experience it, life is never dull! (This blog is the continuation of creativepenny.blogspot.com.au).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Queensland - West to East!
We arrived in Winton to clear blue skies and 27C - just as well we brought shorts and t-shirts. Accommodation options are somewhat limited a...
-
This was our third trip to Venice, a city we obviously love. And its all about soaking up the atmosphere, people watching, pigeons, churches...
-
Puerto Montt, Chile Puerto Montt was settled in 1853 but in 1960 was destroyed by an earthquake. Having been rebuilt it is now a major...
-
We sailed from Rome's Civitavecchia cruise terminal aboard the Celebrity Constellation. We stopped first in Messina, Sicily and then At...

No comments:
Post a Comment